Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cannele de Bordeaux ~ French Pastry with a crusty exterior and creme brulee like interior

A Speciality de Bordeaux, France ~ Cannele
Recipe courtesy Pascal Rigo, The American Boulangerie: French Pastries and Breads for the Home Kitchen , Bay/SOMA Publishing, 2003   ~   Food Network Recipe









Copper molds covered with a mixture of melted beeswax and butter give the Cannele their distintive crunchy crusts.  I didn't have enough copper molds so I buttered a Nordic Ware Fleur de Lis pan and poured in the remaining batter and baked that at 375 for 1 hour. The copper molds baked at 425 for 1 hour. Crunchy crusts and custard like interiors are magnificent. The batter did sit for 24 hours in the refrigerator instead of 12, my option, without any problems. I also added an additional 2 oz. of rum for taste. These are lovely rum flavored bites.
A very special French dessert indeed,  I can't wait to make them again.

6 comments:

  1. You are so brave to turn the cannele batter into a bundt cake. I've wanted those little molds forever, but they're so darn expensive! Would you say you poured 1/2 the recipe into the bundt pan? Also, where did you get your bees wax? I can only find tiny bars at a local bakery.

    Lovely post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ButterYum,
    This recipe was so much fun to make.
    The batter needs to set in the refrigerator at least for 12 hours, I waited 24 hours.
    I would say that I used a little less than half of the batter in the Nordic Ware Fleur de Lis Bundt Pan, 10 cup capacity, 9" diameter, that I had heavily buttered, no beeswax, with a silicon brush.
    I found the beeswax at Earth Fare, but it doesn't take much. I used 1 and 1/2 ounces of butter to the same amount of beeswax for the copper molds.
    Merci Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!I do nor understand how it has the custard inside and beautiful sleek outside.
    Next batch is mine!
    Love,
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Char,
    You would love these for your next tea party.
    Love,
    Dar

    ReplyDelete
  5. May have to arm-wrestle Char for these. I had never heard of them by that name. Have tasted something I imagine these would taste like...Davine!
    Let us mange', cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,
    We can make enough for both of you! Wouldn't that be fun?
    Love,
    Dar

    ReplyDelete